Saturday 16 April 2022

For the love of listing

We birders do love a list.




Life, year, day, green, UK, world, garden, holiday – the lists go on!  Some birders keep one list, others several, with various ways of recording; from handwritten notepads, to complicated excel spreadsheets, to online apps.  Some keep their lists to themselves, some publish to the world.  It really is each to their own. But for all of us as we bird, our lists grow longer and the chances to add to them, particularly life lists, become fewer.

What brought this to mind recently was one of the Warwick 100 team, when I reported our first house and sand martins of the year, commented that he had never seen any martin of any type.  Oh to go back to those days of being new to birdwatching! Back when a house martin was a lifer; that feeling of excitement when a brand new bird went onto my most important of lists.  So I guess this is why birders year list, day list and set themselves never ending challenges – to try to capture that joy again.  Nothing beats a lifer, however, which is why some birders twitch; going against their spouses, employers and their eco-ethics to get that all important, adrenaline pumping moment.  I choose not to twitch, so haven't had a lifer for a long long time, but that's ok.

I keep three personal lists on top of the Warwick 100 challenge – life, green and wild wee.  Yep, you read that right!  That last one currently stands (or squats, as I’m a girl) at 34, with Dartford warbler my best wee list bird.

The Warwick 100 team only exists because of a list – to reach 100 species of bird as quickly as possible each year – and I have to admit, this is the one that I am most invested in.  So for now, I’ll enjoy watching the excitement in our newest team members…and make sure I try to wee in more interesting places!

Lizzy

BUBO Listing - World Bird Listing

Rite in the Rain Official Site | Shop All Weather Products




No comments:

Post a Comment