Sunday 26 April 2020

Birding as a team in isolation - by Lizzy Bradbury

There is no doubt that I live in one of the worst places in the whole of the UK to see birds.  As far from the coast as it is possible to be, with no expanses of woodland, heathland or wetland present to entice migrants, Warwick is located miles away from any vagrant hotspots.   If, like me, you have the birding bug, this could be a pretty depressing situation.  Indeed, I find myself dreaming of Bardsey Island and have even researched buying a caravan at Spurn.


But there are positives of living in a place where whinchats and whimbrels are big news.  I’m pretty sure that finding a pied flycatcher on my patch would be just as adrenalin-filled as finding a collared flycatcher on Shetland, albeit not as social media-worthy, and certainly not twitch-worthy!  There is so little chance of seeing something unusual, competitive listing just isn’t on the radar for the local birders of Warwick.

The Warwick 100 was introduced three years ago by my good friend (and one of my son’s birding mentors).  The three of us decided to work as a team to try to find 100 species of birds within a two mile radius of Warwick town centre in a calendar year, with a WhatsApp group set up and this blog updated regularly.   Like birds, birders are few and far between around here, but over the last couple of years, our little team has grown to ten members, all contributing here and there with sightings, asking advice and general banter.   The team is genuinely happy for those who spot something new – as we are working toward one goal together.  And we’ve managed to smash that goal each year.

We reached 100 on June 30th 2018, with 107 in total. 
We reached 100 on June 5th 2019, with 113 in total.

This year we reached 100 on April 19th!!  So, we could be in line for a bumper year…

In these strange times of lockdown, there is no chance of my getting to the wonderful places I usually visit to hopefully find something special, but I’m really relishing my daily exercise walk with my binoculars each day.   We may moan about Warwick and its lack of birds, but I am so lucky to have my health, some lovely countryside to stroll around and a great team with whom I feel a sense of belonging, alongside a mutual goal. 

We may have no choice but to isolate, but birding as a team can certainly prevent us from feeling isolated.

Sunrise on The Warwickshire by Lizzy "Bradders" Bradbury




No comments:

Post a Comment